Monday, July 1, 2013

What is the "greatness lie?"

What is the "greatness lie?"



          This lie is ultimately the least noticed lie in all of history and it is with great honor that I present the lie in front of you. In fact we don't even realize that this is a lie. We accept it a lot and we tend to use it as motivation and we are all saying all these useful words and think we motivate each other. The lie is so blatantly evil that we don't realize we harm others when we motivate them. This is because we have our own mindsets on greatness. I fell that we have lied to people for too long. It's weird but sometimes we don't realize this as a lie. I honestly mean this. And we need to say that this lie needs to go away. It's great to have motivation in life, not denying it. In fact I admit that we all say this lie daily. We don't even realize it. It goes as simple as one line.

"You'll succeed."


          I have heard this for years and I never actually had the guts to tell people that no I won't and I'm not a pessimist or anything, in fact, I'm calling this a lie because you don't know what our success it. If success was something so easy to earn, then I'm pretty sure we can all be happy and not really need to say such a useless line. I mean it's easy to defend and say "It's not a lie though, I really think you will succeed. It's not anything to hurt you. It's motivation." I feel that this is the greatest thing that they will use to defend themselves with. Ask this though "Are you trying to say this as a cover to see me fail? It's a contradiction because we want to see ourselves better than others. So by you to say 'You'll succeed," what defines that success? Is it by our powers, or is it by action? In fact, why do you want me to succeed? Slavery? or is it to say this 'I told you so, that you'd fail in life' and offend me." I'd think that this is just a great blatant lie, even if we say it comes from the heart, we lied. We didn't define success. Success is not easily defined. Some say it's a dream job, other say it's money. I think it's who we are, if we find who we are and really don't regret it we have succeeded. Again success is dependent on your point of view.
          I personally don't really liked to be called successful because I see it as a lie and I degrade myself whenever I hear this. I say "Good luck on your goal and try your best. I rarely try to say "You'll succeed." because I really don't want to lie and say 'You'll do it and then if you fail well don't blame me because I screwed you over.'" I feel that it's a lie in disguise and if you don't feel the same well this is where I voice how I feel.






What does this need to do with mathematics?

I think that as a mathematician I hear this lie all the time. To be completely honest, you can't get more successful than a PhD and typing up crazy papers and lecturing students. This is just unless you want to be like "God of Mathematics" and I don't think that would really respect anybody and that's not respecting anybody. Math has no 'God' and I mean we can't bow down to somebody because we are all humans and I well fell that mathematics and success does mix, but my definition and I guess my goal is to be a professor in mathematics. I just wish that these lies where we see these "you'll succeed" to be replaced to "wish for the best" as a much more better tone. We need to adjust our tones and think of the future. After all what will the future generations come down to? Stop that lie, and start wishing for the best because we all fail in life one way or another!

          








No comments:

Post a Comment